Empathy is revolutionary. Liberation is revolutionary. Justice is revolutionary. We are revolutionary.
February 20-22, 2024
We welcome all members of the George Washington University to join us from February 20 - 22, 2024 for the in-person 9th Annual Diversity Summit, Defining Revolutionary: A Call for Justice, Liberation & Empathy. This year’s theme challenges us to turn inward to define ourselves together as GW, in space that allows for both a pouring into our community and sharing out from our community in accordance with our intended learning goals.
Registration for the 9th Annual Diversity Summit closed on Friday, February 16, 2024 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
Defining Revolutionary: A Call for Justice, Liberation & Empathy
We call on the engagement of our community at this moment, perhaps more than ever, to consider empathy, liberation, and justice. As we collectively experience the substantial loss of life, anti-Arab discrimination and bias, antisemitism, Islamophobia, ongoing oppression toward those most historically marginalized, feelings of hurt and lack of safety, and a reinforcement of power in many ways, we must call actions out, bring attention to injustices, and work toward liberation for all. We have an obligation to repair where harm has been done, restore trust and relationships, and work toward building a collective, healthy, and beloved community. From conflict to compassion, we need to strive toward creating the world we want and deserve. We have to be willing to seek the humanity in other people, challenge ourselves to understand another point of view, and empower each other to disrupt and push against all forms of oppression.
In this moment, we need to grow our capacity to empathize, work toward liberation for all, and fight for justice. These acts are in fact revolutionary. Indigenous scholar, activist, and artist Lilla Watson said, “If you have come here to help me you are wasting your time, but if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.” Activists, scholars, and change makers strategically work in coalition, with the understanding that our inequities and oppressions are intrinsically tied. GW, let us work together during dedicated space and time at the Diversity Summit, as one university.
Please visit the Latest Updates section of our website and follow us on social media @InclusionatGW for information and ongoing updates, registration, and proposal submissions. If you have questions, please email [email protected].
- To deepen their understanding and meaning of revolutionary, connected to the history of activism and social change
- To form new knowledge related to current events impacting the field of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- To learn definitions of liberation and justice from various identities and perspectives
- To increase emotional intelligence, particularly related to building their capacity to empathize with individuals different from themselves
- To determine concrete actionable items for them to implement positive social change at GW and beyond
- To establish new opportunities for collaboration and coalition building within the GW community